I was lucky enough to attend Microsoft’s UK Technical Launch of Windows Server 2012, on Tuesday 25th September in London. I wasn’t really sure what to expect as I had been to a few of these in the past and sat and listened to marketing people using maketing speial to try and sell the latest product. The room, setting and event was very well organised and a pleasure to attend. The best bit was having Microsoft technical guys and MVPs on stage demonstrating and describing the best bits that Server 2012 has to offer and trust me there are plenty (hundreds of new features).
I was completely “wowed” and the question I kept asking myself was “Why would you not want to implement this?” It is THAT good!
Where do I start…seriously there is not enough time and space to detail everything so I have picked, in my opinion, the top 10 best new features.
The buzzwords are Cloud OS, flexible, scalable, dynamic, robust, open and elastic.
1. Hyper-V Network Virtualisation – no more VLANs
2. Hyper-V Replication – replication between hosts in different sites
3. Data Dedup – efficiently store, transfer and backup less data
4. Powershell v3.0 – there are now 2,500 cmdlets
5. Server Manager – can now manage multiple servers by grouping
6. ReFS – add-on to NTFS for resilience and fault tolerance
7. Convert from Full GUI to Server Core and back again
8. Storage Spaces – create your own storage space from various different storage options
9. IPAM – IP Address Management for discovering, monitoring, and managing the corporate IP address space
10. SMB 3.0 – Hyper-V can now store virtual machines on file servers
For more information go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/server-cloud/ws2012/default.aspx
First thing I did when I was back in the office was download and install Server 2012 so go and download it now http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/hh670538.aspx?wt.mc_id=TEC_108_1_33